Skip to main content

Trinity College Dublin, The University of Dublin

Menu Search


Drawn to the Page

IRISH ARTISTS & ILLUSTRATION 1830-1930

Caption: Church of the Holy Sepulchre, Jerusalem

Caption:
Church of the Holy Sepulchre, Jerusalem
Artist:
Hughes, Myra Kathleen
Materials:
Paper (fiber material), Ink
Techniques:
Etching, Photoengraving
Engraver:
Hughes, Myra Kathleen
Author:
Anon.
Title of Publication:
The Studio - Vol 73 - no 299
Publisher:
Offices of The Studio "The Studio" Ltd.
Publication place:
London
Publication date:
1918
Curator Comment:
'The Studio: an illustrated magazine of fine and applied art' - was among the most widely-read international art periodicals, from the time of its foundation in London in the early 1890s. Part of its success can be attributed to the fact that it was one of the first art magazines to employ photo-mechanical printing technologies, ensuring its readers enjoyed high quality reproductions. The periodical image was reproduced by a photographic process after the original etching.
Note on artwork:
In 1917, Wexford-born artist Myra K. Hughes journeyed to Palestine, and contributed a written and visual account of her travels to the art periodical 'The Studio'. Hughes’s practice was to work directly from nature in a selective manner, interpreting rather than transcribing the scenes before her. A follower of the artist and printmaker J.A.M. Whistler, this etching by Hughes was made on-site and depicts a section of the Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem, a Christian church within the walled Old City of Jerusalem, its earliest form dating from the 4th century. Typical of her style, Hughes employs a selective approach to the subject, describing areas in great detail allowing other areas of the plate to remain ‘unfinished’.
References:
Snoddy (2002)


We welcome feedback. If you have any further information or notice a mistake on this site, contact us

.