Elvery, Beatriceview gallery
Biography: Beatrice Campbell, Lady Glenavy (née Elvery, 1883–1970), was born in Dublin. A very versatile artist and designer, she began her studies at the Dublin Metropolitan School of Art between 1896 and 1905, where she won a number of scholarships and awards. Among her tutors were the painter William Orpen (1878-1931) and the sculptor John Hughes (1865 - 1941). She continued her studies at the National Art Training School, South Kensington, and at the Académie Colarossi, Paris. Her oeuvre included paintings, sculptures and stained glass designs. Elvery worked for a time at An Túr Gloine (The Tower of Glass), the first stained glass co-operative and workshop in Ireland which was established in 1903 by Sarah Purser (1848-1943). Elvery exhibited at the Royal Hibernian Academy, the Oireachtas Art Exhibitions, the Watercolour Society of Ireland, the Young Irish Artists, the Society of Dublin Painters and the Arts and Crafts Society of Ireland. In later years she was a regular contributor to the Irish Exhibition of Living Art. As an illustrator, Elvery worked with Elizabeth Corbett Yeats (1868–1940) at the Cuala Press, creating designs that were hand-printed and, at times, hand-coloured. Other important illustration projects included the Connradh na Gaedhilge publication ‘Íosagán agus sgéalta eile’ (1907) by Patrick Pearse (1879-1916) and her designs for Violet Russell's, ‘Heroes of the dawn’, (1913) published by Maunsel and Company, Dublin. Elvery also provided illustrations for a number of Irish periodicals including ‘The Shanachie: an Irish illustrated quarterly’ (1906-1907), ‘The Irish Review; a monthly magazine of Irish literature, art & science’ (1911-14) and ‘The Dublin Magazine’ (1923-1958).